Blocked drains are a big headache that can lead to overflows, serious leakage, electrical damage and above all, the health infections. Just imagine the blocked drain that would cause the water overflowing in your kitchen with all that debris full of germs and bacteria.
We know you won’t want to imagine that. But the reality is that you are likely to encounter the problem of the blocked drainsif you are not acting in advance and taking measures to avoid.
You cannot sit and cross your fingers hoping that the problem will be resolved on its own, What you need to do in such a situation is calling a plumber immediately and resolve blocked drains Issue in Wollongong.
However, the question is “Why to wait for the drains to get blocked and cause serious issues when you can avoid it by following simple steps?”.
Yes, it’s that simple; take care of a few things and you will never need to face the problem of blocked drains. However, before beginning with the things you can do to prevent clogging of drains, we would like to tell you the reasons that lead to the blockage.
- The foremost reason for the clogged drain is the debris or the foreign objects accumulated there. It can be the hair, greasy soap residue, food residue, fatty deposits, plant leaves or toiletries that can cause the drains to clog.
- A flood or storm can also lead to the drain blockage as it causes the water to rush through the drainage system. If the gutters are not clean, the soil build-up and the leaf matter is flushed through the pipes. And as the pipes are not designed to handle large amounts of water, it leads to blockage after rain.
- Broken pipes are also a reason for the blocked drains as they resist the free flow of water and the water build-up can cause the drain to collapse. The damage to the pipes occurs due to the poor installation, tree roots and age.
- Drains can also get clogged due to the poor pipe installations.
Tips to prevent the blocking of drains
The first thing you can do to prevent the blockage of drains is taking care of the above-given reasons and preventing them through proper measures. For instance,
- You can pour the cooking oil, grease and other debris into the container and can through it along with the normal household rubbish.
- You can through the used tea leaves or coffee grinds along with the rubbish or can use it as mulch in the garden.
- You can get a plug cover to prevent the particles going down and accumulating in the drain.
Apart from these preventive measures, there are some cleaning related tips which will let you prevent the blockage of drain pipes. So, keep on reading and ensure to keep this serious issue at bay.
1. Let the water flow after you are done with using the sink
Keep the water running for some extra minutes after you have used the sink. The running water will flush the drain thoroughly and stop building up of any kind of debris inside it.
It would be better to use hot water for this task as it will wash the fat/oil from the drain and will keep it running down the drainage system. And there will be fewer chances of getting unwanted build up inside the pipe when there will be no fat to attract the debris.
2. Use vinegar to keep the drains clean and clear
Even regular cleaning can let some oil or fat sit inside the drain. So, in order to keep the drains clean, you can use vinegar. It works amazingly to clean the built-up debris. Pour a cup of vinegar down the drain and leave it for 20-30 minutes. Then rinse it with hot water and you will get the drain clear and odour-free. The acetic acid present in the vinegar is a great solvent and removes all kinds of built-up effectively.
3. Take advantage of the baking soda
Baking soda is a great cleaning product used in a number of cleaning applications. It is a good option if you don’t have vinegar or don’t want to use it due to its strong and irritating smell. Take a handful of baking soda and toss it in the drain. Then wash it off with the hot water and you will get the drain clean and clear. Along with removing the debris and other rubbish, baking soda will also absorb the nasty odour.
4. Use a plug screen
It is a kind of preventive measure for the blocked drain that you can use to prevent the debris going down the drain. Just place it over the plug before using the sink and it will prevent the clogging of a drain while ensuring that the food waste, hair, soap or any other debris is caught up before it goes down the drain.
Plug screens are easily available in the market. However, it is necessary to buy the right size. So, measure the plugs before you buy the one.
5. Avoid using the toilet as a wastebasket
Avoid flushing anything in the toilet apart from the human waste and toilet paper. It may be tempting to throw those baby wipes and other kinds of waste in the toilet seeing that big hole but the problem is all the material do not degrade the same way as that of the toilet paper. These items can get stuck in the pipe and lead to the blockage.
In the case something gets flushed into the toilet accidentally, call a plumber and get it removed before it leads to clogging.
Thus, you just need to follow some simple tips and you are all set to go to prevent the blocked drains. Doing these things will not consume much of your time but will definitely let you avoid the major problem that otherwise can lead to damage in the house and cost you a lot if neglected.
And in order to ensure that the drains are free from any kind of blockage, you should also monitor the water flow of all the sinks of your house. Doing this on regular basis will let you notice the clogging in the beginning only and you can call the plumber in Wollongong to fix the problem of blocked drain before it turns into something major.